Franklin Lakes Farms of the Archdiocese of Newark records
Scope and Contents
The Franklin Lakes Farms of the Archdiocese of Newark records include correspondence, account statements, bank statements, bills, and reports related to the acquisition and maintenance of the Franklin Lakes Farms properties. The collection includes information related to the original bequest and coordination with other named parties in John McKenzie's will, as well as many documents related to the subsequent operation and maintenance of the properties during the 1950s.
Conditions Governing Access
Temporarily closed to research.
Conditions Governing Use
All materials available in this collection (unless otherwise noted) are the property of the Monsignor William Noé Field Archives & Special Collections Center and Seton Hall University, which reserves the right to limit access to or reproduction of these materials. Reproduction of materials or content is subject to United States copyright restrictions and may be subject to federal or state privacy regulations. Permission to publish exact reproductions must be obtained from the Director of the Archives and Special Collections Center.
Biographical / Historical
Franklin Lakes Farms were a parcel of properties left to the Archdiocese of Newark by the estate of John McKenzie. The Farms originally included 15 properties of approximately 2100 acres and 15 dwellings, of which about 24% was gifted to the Archdiocese. The Archdiocese purchased the remainder of the properties, then eventually sold a portion. Some of the land retained by the Archdiocese was kept for development into a school, church, and cemetary.
John McKenzie died December 1943 and willed land and money to many charitable organizations in New York and New Jersey, particularly the Archdiocese of Newark and the Archdiocese of New York. Included in the bequests was land located in Bergen County and Passaic County, New Jersey, of which the Archdiocese of Newark eventually assumed control.
2.08 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Franklin Lakes Farms were a parcel of properties left to the Archdiocese of Newark by the estate of John McKenzie. The Franklin Lakes Farms of the Archdiocese of Newark records include correspondence, account statements, bank statements, bills, and reports related to the acquisition and maintenance of the Franklin Lakes Farms properties.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Materials were transferred to the Archives and Special Collections Center from the Archdiocese of Newark in 1989. Accession number 1989.0033.ADN.
This collection is not yet processed. Finding aid and basic collection description created in 2013 by Patrick Tobin and Tracy M. Jackson as part of the Overhaul Project collection survey.
- Franklin Lakes Farms of the Archdiocese of Newark records, 1944-1961
- Tracy M. Jackson
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.