Mount Carmel Guild of the Archdiocese of Newark records
Scope and Contents
The Mount Carmel Guild of the Archdiocese of Newark records include correspondence, newsletters, newsclippings, bills, and scrapbooks describing the activities of the guild. A large portion of the collection is related to the Americanization Department, which offered classes to assist immigrants with obtaining US citizenship. Other activities described include the Apostolate for the Deaf, Project Equality, a housing project, a day care center, a rehabilitation and training center, and an apostolate to the mentally handicapped, among others. Many folders are titled by ministry or activity, while some folders from the 1970's are chronological files containing meeting minutes and notes from multiple ministries.
- 1929 - 1974
- Majority of material found within 1929 - 1937
Conditions Governing Access
Temporarily closed to research.
Conditions Governing Use
All materials available in this collection (unless otherwise noted) are the property of the Monsignor William Noé Field Archives & Special Collections Center and Seton Hall University, which reserves the right to limit access to or reproduction of these materials. Reproduction of materials or content is subject to United States copyright restrictions and may be subject to federal or state privacy regulations. Permission to publish exact reproductions must be obtained from the Director of the Archives and Special Collections Center.
Biographical / Historical
The Mount Carmel Guild of Newark was established in 1929 by Bishop Thomas J. Walsh as an organization that provided "mental, spiritual and physical relief to individuals receiving public assistance." The Guild was part of the Associated Catholic Charities, which provided family and child welfare services. The Mount Carmel Guild operated a soup kitchen from 1930-1941, offered assistance to those seeking U.S. citizenship starting in the 1930s and formalized as the Office of Migration in 1976, provided ministry to those with physical or mental handicaps, operated a special education school and a psychiatric unit, and participated in social justice causes. In the 1970's, the Mount Carmel Guild ceased to operate as a separate organization and its acitivities were folded into the larger operations of Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark.
Sources: 1. Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark website, History: http://www.ccannj.net/history.php, accessed 31 January 2013.
7.83 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Mount Carmel Guild of Newark was established in 1929 by Bishop Thomas J. Walsh as an organization that provided mental, spiritual and physical relief to individuals receiving public assistance. The Mount Carmel Guild of the Archdiocese of Newark records include correspondence, newsletters, newsclippings, bills, and scrapbooks describing the activities of the guild.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Materials were transferred to the Archives and Special Collections Center from the Chancery of the Archdiocese of Newark in 1988. Terms of accession unknown.
This collection is not yet processed. Finding aid and basic collection description created in 2013 by Ben Clark and Tracy M. Jackson as part of the Overhaul Project collection survey.
- Mount Carmel Guild of the Archdiocese of Newark records, 1929-1974, bulk 1929-1937
- Tracy M. Jackson
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the The Monsignor Field Archives & Special Collection Center Repository
Archives, Walsh Library
400 South Orange Ave
South Orange NJ 07079 US