Skip to main content

Archdiocese of Newark - Institute of Sacred Music

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: ADN-0045
Contents of the collection are as follows:

Box 1: contains a large binder of forms for the St. Cecilia Guild and the Catholic Choir Guild (1950-1959). The St. Cecilia Guild forms are grouped by order, including many convents in Newark. The Catholic Choir Guild forms are grouped by county (Essex is not present). The forms include data on attendance, numbers and types of musical participation (by year), and dues and subscriptions paid.

Box 2: contains a general financial ledger (1933-1950)

Box 3: (unprocessed) contains files of administrative records, annual reports (1930s-1960s), correspondence, notices, programs, etc. Included are plans and schedules for students (1940s); a typescript history of the Institute, 1934-1958 (illustrated with original photographs), by its Director from 1948, Joseph A. Murphy, and several copies of Murphy's published history, "Newark's Response to the Motu Proprio of Pope Pius X, 1932-1946"; teaching and reference material on sacred music; and issues of the magazine, "The Catholic Choirmaster' (the issue of Summer 1958 has an article on the Institute) (Newark Archives Project, 2017).

Source: Newark Archives Project, 2017, http://nap.rutgers.edu/collection.php?id=1699&type=coll&s=0&search=&stype=keyword&rep=35&subject%5b%5d=Music

Dates

  • Majority of material found within 1936 - 1976

Conditions Governing Access

Temporarily closed to research.

Conditions Governing Use

All materials available in this collection (unless otherwise noted) are the property of the Monsignor William NoƩ Field Archives & Special Collections Center and Seton Hall University, which reserves the right to limit access to or reproduction of these materials. Reproduction of materials or content is subject to United States copyright restrictions and may be subject to federal or state privacy regulations. Permission to publish exact reproductions must be obtained from the Director of the Archives & Special Collections Center.

Extent

1.92 Linear Feet

Title
Archdiocese of Newark - Institute of Sacred Music, 1936-1976 (Bulk: 1943-1962)
Date
1/18/2017

Repository Details

Part of the The Monsignor Field Archives & Special Collection Center Repository

Contact:
Archives, Walsh Library
400 South Orange Ave
South Orange NJ 07079 US
973-761-9476