Skip to main content

Newark Archdiocesan Federation of Holy Name Societies records

 Collection
Identifier: ADN 0046
The Newark Archdiocesan Federation of Holy Name Societies records document the formation and early years of the unification of Holy Name Society groups within the Archdiocese of Newark. The collection includes meeting minutes and the constitution of the organization.

Dates

  • 1935-1940

Conditions Governing Access

Temporarily closed to research.

Conditions Governing Use

All materials available in this collection (unless otherwise noted) are the property of the Monsignor William Noé Field Archives & Special Collections Center and Seton Hall University, which reserves the right to limit access to or reproduction of these materials. Reproduction of materials or content is subject to United States copyright restrictions and may be subject to federal or state privacy regulations. Permission to publish exact reproductions must be obtained from the Director of the Archives and Special Collections Center.

Extent

0.5 Linear Feet (, Approximately 50 items.)

Overview

The Society of the Holy Name, also called Confraternity of the Most Holy Names of God and Jesus, is a group dedicated to the reverence of the names of God and Jesus. In 1930, Holy Name Society groups in the Archdiocese of Newark combined to form the Newark Archdiocesan Federation of Holy Name Societies. However, after 1940 this Federation seems to have dissolved and Holy Name Society groups in the New Jersey area are under the auspices of the National Association of Holy Name Societies. The Newark Archdiocesan Federation of Holy Name Societies records document the formation and early years of the unification of Holy Name Society groups within the Archdiocese of Newark. The collection includes meeting minutes and the constitution of the organization.

Biographical / Historical

The Society of the Holy Name, also called Confraternity of the Most Holy Names of God and Jesus, is a group dedicated to the reverence of the names of God and Jesus and suppression of blasphemy, as well as evangelism and assisting church and parish ministries in Sprititual and Corporal Acts of Mercy. Originating in the 13th century at the Council of Lyons, the society today exists in many branches around the world. In the United States, a dicoses may have a union or federation of branches, each associated with individual parishes or groups. Membership is open to practicing Catholic men over the age of 18.

In 1935, Holy Name Society groups in the Archdiocese of Newark combined to form the Newark Archdiocesan Federation of Holy Name Societies. However, after 1940 this Federation seems to have dissolved and Holy Name Society groups in the New Jersey area are under the auspices of the National Association of Holy Name Societies.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged alphabetically by folder title, then chronologically.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Materials were transferred to the Archives and Special Collections Center from the Archdiocese of Newark. Terms of accession unknown.

Existence and Location of Copies

Select items from this collection have been digitized. To view these items, click here.

Related Materials

John P. Barrington collection on the Newark Police Department Holy Name Society, 1914-1977 (bulk 1947-1977), Mss 0066, in the Monsignor Noé Field Archives & Special Collections Center, Walsh Library, Seton Hall University.

Processing Information

Collection was processed by Field Archives and Special Collections Center staff. The finding aid was written by Tracy M. Jackson in July 2012.
Title
Newark Archdiocesan Federation of Holy Name Societies records, 1935-1940
Status
completed
Author
Tracy M. Jackson
Date
June 2012
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the The Monsignor Field Archives & Special Collection Center Repository

Contact:
Archives, Walsh Library
400 South Orange Ave
South Orange NJ 07079 US
973-761-9476