Justin J. McCarthy papers
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: ADN 0003-004
The Justin J. McCarthy papers primarily consist of the lecture notes and sermons of Bishop Justin J. McCarthy from his time as faculty at Immaculate Conception Seminary in Darlington, N.J., and as pastor of Our Lady of Sorrows Church in South Orange, N.J. The collection also includes three bound volumes of printed lecture notes in Latin, with hand-written notations.
Conditions Governing Access
Temporarily closed to research.
Conditions Governing Use
All materials available in this collection (unless otherwise noted) are the property of the Monsignor William Noé Field Archives & Special Collections Center and Seton Hall University, which reserves the right to limit access to or reproduction of these materials. Reproduction of materials or content is subject to United States copyright restrictions and may be subject to federal or state privacy regulations. Permission to publish exact reproductions must be obtained from the Director of the Archives and Special Collections Center.
0.63 Linear Feet (2 containers)
Justin J. McCarthy was a priest and then auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Newark and Bishop of Camden. The Justin J. McCarthy papers primarily consist of the lecture notes and sermons of Bishop Justin J. McCarthy.
Biographical / Historical
Justin Joseph McCarthy was born in Sayre, Pennsylvania on 26 November 1900 to Joseph and Dehlia McCarthy. He has a brother, Joseph A. McCarthy, and a sister, Mary Agnes McCarthy. The McCarthy family moved to Elizabeth, NJ, two years later, and Justin J. McCarthy attended St. Mary's School and Battin High School, and was a member of the baseball team. He attended Seton Hall College, from which he graduated in 1923, and Immaculate Conception Seminary. In 1923, after completing his studies in South Orange and Darlington, he attended the North American College in Rome, where he received a master's degree in theology. Father McCarthy was ordained 16 April 1927. On his return to the United States, Fr. McCarthy was a parish priest and a member of the faculty, then spiritual director of Immaculate Conception Seminary. In 1954, while serving as pastor of Our Lady of Sorrows Church in South Orange, he was named as Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Newark by Pop Pius XII, and consecrated as such on 17 June 1954 by Archbishop Thomas A. Boland. Three years later he became the second Bishop of Camden, on 19 March 1957. In 1959, while visiting his sister in Hillside, NJ, he suffered a heart attack and died 26 December 1959.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Materials were transferred to the Archives and Special Collections Center from the Archdiocese of Newark. Terms of accession unknown.
This collection is unprocessed. Basic finding aid created by Ben Clark and Tracy M. Jackson as part of Overhaul Project collection survey, January 2013.
- Justin J. McCarthy papers, 1936-1959
- Tracy M. Jackson
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.