Skip to main content

à Kempis Club of New Jersey records

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: ADN 0082
The à Kempis Club of New Jersey records include newsclippings, yearbooks, correspondence, stationary, and a guestbook, documenting the activities of the Club in the 1990's. Materials primarily have to do with speakers' events hosted by the Club as well as some Club business. This collection does not document the whole history of the Club.

Dates

  • 1984-1997
  • Majority of material found within 1991 - 1997

Conditions Governing Access

Temporarily closed to research.

Conditions Governing Use

All materials available in this collection (unless otherwise noted) are the property of the Monsignor William Noé Field Archives & Special Collections Center and Seton Hall University, which reserves the right to limit access to or reproduction of these materials. Reproduction of materials or content is subject to United States copyright restrictions and may be subject to federal or state privacy regulations. Permission to publish exact reproductions must be obtained from the Director of the Archives and Special Collections Center.

Extent

0.21 Linear Feet

Overview

The à Kempis Club of New Jersey was a Catholic women's organization, affiliated with the National Conference of Catholic Women, that hosted events featuring speakers or lecturers on a variety of topics, raised money for charity, and celebrated mass. The à Kempis Club of New Jersey records include newsclippings, yearbooks, correspondence, stationary, and a guestbook, documenting the activities of the Club in the 1990's.

Biographical / Historical

Thomas à Kempis (1380-1471) was a German monk, believed to be the author or editor of the book the Imitation of Christ, a devotional work.

The à Kempis Club of New Jersey was a Catholic women's organization, affiliated with the National Conference of Catholic Women, that hosted events featuring speakers or lecturers on a variety of topics, raised money for charity, and celebrated mass. The Club was founded in approximately 1914; in 1928, the Club refused Archbishop Walsh's demand that all societies be administered under a diocesan office, at which point the group was largely ignored by the Archdiocese. The à Kempis Club ceased to exist in approximately 1998.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Materials were transferred to the Archives and Special Collections Center from the Archdiocese of Newark. Terms of accession unknown.

Processing Information

This collection is not yet completely processed. Finding aid and basic collection description created in 2013 by Jacqui Bowen and Tracy M. Jackson as part of the Overhaul Project collection survey.
Title
à Kempis of New Jersey records, 1984-1997 (bulk 1991-1997)
Author
Tracy M. Jackson
Date
2013
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the The Monsignor Field Archives & Special Collection Center Repository

Contact:
Archives, Walsh Library
400 South Orange Ave
South Orange NJ 07079 US
973-761-9476