Miriam Rooney papers
Scope and Contents
This collection, donated by Catholic University in 1992, consists of papers belonging to Miriam Rooney.
The personal files in the collection consist of newspaper articles and communication from institutions including Catholic University (her former place of employment), Georgetown University, and the Diocese of St. Augustine in Florida. This series also contains a diary of lists, letters from friends and religious figures, papers noting Rooney's memberships and donations, and a number of photographs and some corresponding negatives. The subjects of these photographs include nature, cars, buildings, churches, and cemetaries.
In her priest files, Rooney's collection focuses primarily on Father John Cartwright and Monsignor Edward Pace. This series includes brochures for the Baltimore Archdiocesan Pilgrimage (as led by Father Cartwright), and clippings on both priests as well as on Sister Aimee of the Precious Blood Monastery, Pope Paul VI, Canon Sheehan, Pope Pius XII, Archbishop Curley, and Bishop McEntegart of Brooklyn. The papers on Monsignor Edward Pace include several of his lectures and his correspondence with Miriam Rooney.
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
All materials available in this collection (unless otherwise noted) are the property of the Monsignor William Noé Field Archives & Special Collections Center and Seton Hall University, which reserves the right to limit access to or reproduction of these materials. Reproduction of materials or content is subject to United States copyright restrictions and may be subject to federal or state privacy regulations. Permission to publish exact reproductions must be obtained from the Director of the Archives and Special Collections Center.
Biographical / Historical
Dr. Miriam Rooney was an alumna of Catholic University, the founding dean of Seton Hall Law School (1950-1967), and a law professor at Catholic University (1948-1951). She also was involved in the United Nations as an observer and the Vatican's U.N. delegation. She was the first female dean of a law school in the United States. Before acting as the dean of Seton Hall Law School, she was a law professor and chief librarian for Catholic University Law School. Under her guidance, Seton Hall Law School was opened in February 1951 in Jersey City. (The school relocated to Newark in September 1951.) ABA accreditation was gained in 1952, and membership to the Association of American Law Schools was added in 1959. Miriam Rooney left her position in 1961, when she returned to teaching. She was succeeded in her position by John P. Loftus.
As a Ph.D, she was the author of several academic works, including "Lawlessness, Law, and Sanction" (her dissertation), "Mr. Justice Cardozo's relativism" (1945), "Borrowings in Roman law and Christian thought" (1946), "Relativism in American law" (1946), and "Law as an instrument of social policy: The Brandeis Theory" (1948).
0.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Miriam Rooney was a lawyer, the first dean of the Seton Hall University Law School (making her the first female dean of a law school in the United States), and a professor of law. The Miriam Rooney papers include letters from friends, a diary, photographs, and religious papers, some of which relate to the death of Monsignor Edward Pace.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Collection was donated by Catholic University in 1992 to the Archives and Special Collections Center in 1992. Terms of accession unknown.
The collection was processed by the Archives and Special Collections Center in the 1990s. Finding aid revised and HTML created by Benjamin Clark as part of the Overhaul Project collection survey, 2013.
- Miriam Rooney papers, 1930-1965
- M. Kenny
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the The Monsignor Field Archives & Special Collection Center Repository
Archives, Walsh Library
400 South Orange Ave
South Orange NJ 07079 US