Skip to main content

Office of the President & Chancellor of Seton Hall University: Joseph Synott records

 Collection
Identifier: SHU 0003-006

Scope and Contents

The collection contains an application and letter from the University of the State of New York, a notice from the Essex County Park Commission, and Synott's Hermeneurica Biblica. This handwritten book was a gift from Joseph J. Lynnett, and is believed to have handwritten notations from President Synott.

Dates

  • 1883-1899

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open to researchers at the Msgr. William Noé Field Archives & Special Collections Center. Advance appointments are required for the use of archival materials.

Conditions Governing Use

All materials available in this collection (unless otherwise noted) are the property of the Monsignor William Noé Field Archives & Special Collections Center and Seton Hall University, which reserves the right to limit access to or reproduction of these materials. Reproduction of materials or content is subject to United States copyright restrictions and may be subject to federal or state privacy regulations. Permission to publish exact reproductions must be obtained from the Director of the Archives and Special Collections Center.

Biographical / Historical

Joseph Joachim Synott was the sixth President of Seton Hall. Born February 6, 1863 in Great Neck, Long Island, New York, his family moved to Montclair, New Jersey soon after. After Montclair High School he attended St. Francis Xavier's College, graduating in June 1882. He then entered the University of Innsbruck, Austria where he completed his theological studies and was ordained July 26, 1886. He earned his Doctorate of Theology from the same institution two years later in 1888.

Synott returned to the United States in the fall of 1888 and within months was appointed assistant to St. John's Church in Paterson, NJ. In September of 1889, he was assigned to the seminary at Seton Hall. He started as professor of Scripture and Hebrew, and then moral theology and canon law. Synott became rector of the seminary on October 31, 1895 when the prior rector, Father O'Connor, was transferred. Two year later, on June 16, 1897, the Board of Trustees of the College elected Synott as President.

Under Synott's leadership, a laundry facility was added to the campus as well as improvements to the seminary and the construction of a library. Built in 1898, the two story building was named after the fifth President of the College, Marshall. It originally contained 18,000 volumes. During this time, the Setonia Athletic Association was founded to encourage sports at the College.

Synott died March 19, 1899, less than two years later.

Sources: Flynn, Joseph M. The Catholic Church in New Jersey. Morristown, NJ: ?, 1904. Kennely, Edward F. A Historical Study of Seton Hall College. Ph.D. dissertation, New York University, 1944.

Extent

4 items

Language of Materials

English

Latin

Overview

Joseph Synott was the sixth president of Seton Hall College, from 1897-1899. The collection includes working papers and a book, "Hermeneurica Biblica."

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Materials were transferred to the Archives and Special Collections Center from Seton Hall University. Terms of accession unknown.

Processing Information

Collection processed as part of Record Group 3: Office of the President by the Archives and Special Collections Center. Re-processed as separate collection and finding aid reformatted, M. Kenny, March 2007. Finding aid revised by Benjamin Clark and Tracy M. Jackson as part of the Overhaul Project collection survey, 2012, 2013. Collection re-processed and finding aid revised by Patrick McCall, March 2020.
Title
Office of the President & Chancellor of Seton Hall University: Joseph Synott records, 1898-1899
Author
M. Kenny
Date
2007
Description rules
Rules for Archival Description
Language of description
English
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the The Monsignor Field Archives & Special Collection Center Repository

Contact:
Archives, Walsh Library
400 South Orange Ave
South Orange NJ 07079 US
973-761-9476