College of Medicine and Dentistry records
Scope and Contents
The Seton Hall College of Medicine and Dentistry records span the years 1946-1965, while the post-transfer records span the years 1965-1969. They cover the years of planning, the decision to join with the Jersey City Medical Center, the delays created by litigation, the eventual conflicts between the government of Jersey City and the College, and finally, the political and financial conditions that resulted in the turnover of the College to the State of New Jersey. Litigation-related materials address the separation of church and state.
- 1946 - 1969
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
All materials available in this collection (unless otherwise noted) are the property of the Monsignor William Noé Field Archives & Special Collections Center and Seton Hall University, which reserves the right to limit access to or reproduction of these materials. Reproduction of materials or content is subject to United States copyright restrictions and may be subject to federal or state privacy regulations. Permission to publish exact reproductions must be obtained from the Director of the Archives and Special Collections Center.
Biographical / Historical
Prior to 1946 New Jersey had no College for the study of medicine or dentistry. Students were required to leave the state for these specialties and many did not return. In 1954 the SHCMD was established under the auspices of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark. It was incorporated on August 6, 1954 as a legal entity separate from Seton Hall University but with an interlocking Board of Trustees. In September 1955 remodeling construction was begun in two buildings of the Jersey City Medical Center to house the clinical and teaching facilities of the College. The first class of 80 students was admitted to the four-year MD program in September 1956. From the first graduating class in 1960 through 1964 the College awarded the MD degree to a total of 348 individuals. There were 36 dental graduates in the first class of 1960. By 1963 the total reached 139. The college expanded its program in 1961 when the Graduate School of Biomedical Science was chartered by the State Board of Education. The first candidates for the M.S. and Ph.D. degree entered in 1962. Early in 1961 it became apparent that the Archdiocese of Newark could not support the College's growing financial deficit that threatened to force the institution's closure. In April 1964 Governor Richard J. Hughes, with leaders of the Senate and General Assembly, appointed a fact-finding committee to determine the feasibility of the State's taking over and operating the SHCMD. On July 28, 1964, the committee recommended that the State purchase the assets of the SHCMD for $4 million and continue its operation under State control. The action was consummated on May 3, 1965, and the institution's name was officially changed to the New Jersey College of Medicine and Dentistry (NJCMD).
7 Linear Feet (, Approximately 1900 items.)
Language of Materials
The Records of the Seton Hall College of Medicine and Dentistry (SHCMD) date from 1946 to 1965. The College was turned over to the State of New Jersey in 1965 (the White Paper), but files containing information on the post-transfer period up to 1969 are included in this collection.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Materials were transferred to the Archives and Special Collections Center from the Archdiocese of Newark and Seton Hall University. Some materials apparently part of Accession #ADN 21-89.
This is a partial collection. Some original records were given the the UMDNJ Archives in 1980. Note: The above information is primarily that of Stanley S. Bergen, Jr., MD University Archives, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. Revised February 1999. Some re-processing by Beth Morris, 2011.
- College of Medicine and Dentistry of Seton Hall University records, 1946-1969
- Archives and Special Collections Center, encoded by Tracy M Jackson.
- June 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the The Monsignor Field Archives & Special Collection Center Repository
Archives, Walsh Library
400 South Orange Ave
South Orange NJ 07079 US