Skip to main content

John Koenig papers

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: ADN 0004-024
The John Koenig papers contain the professional papers of Rev. John Koenig from his work in the Archdiocese of Newark and as a parish pastor. The collection is divided into two series. Series I contains the files created by Rev. Koenig during his work with the Ecumenical Commission (Commission for Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs of the Archdiocese of Newark). Series II contains materials created by Rev. Koenig in the course of his work as a priest at Holy Spirit parish in Union, N.J.

Dates

  • 1966-2001

Conditions Governing Access

Temporarily closed to research.

Conditions Governing Use

All materials available in this collection (unless otherwise noted) are the property of the Monsignor William Noé Field Archives & Special Collections Center and Seton Hall University, which reserves the right to limit access to or reproduction of these materials. Reproduction of materials or content is subject to United States copyright restrictions and may be subject to federal or state privacy regulations. Permission to publish exact reproductions must be obtained from the Director of the Archives and Special Collections Center.

Extent

4.25 Linear Feet

Overview

John H. Koenig was born 24 December 1916. He graduated from Seton Hall college in 1938, was ordained into the priesthood on 30 May 1942 at St. Patrick's Cathedral in Newark, N.J., and served as director of the Archdiocesan Ecumenical Commission. Msgr. Koenig died on 15 August 2004. The John Koenig papers contain the professional papers of Rev. John Koenig from his work in the Archdiocese of Newark and as a parish pastor.

Biographical / Historical

John H. Koenig was born 24 December 1916. He graduated from Seton Hall college in 1938 and earned a master's degree in liturgy from the University of Notre Dame and a master's degree in theology from the Catholic University of America. He was ordained into the priesthood on 30 May 1942 at St. Patrick's Cathedral in Newark, N.J., and was later named a Monsignor. Msgr. Koenig taught at Immaculate Conception Seminary from 1947 to 1969 and was a parish priest at St. Mary parish (now Our Lady Help of Christians) in West New York, Holy Rosary parish in Elizabeth, and Holy Spirit parish in Union. He also served as president of the Senate of Priests, director of the Archdiocesan Ecumenical Commission, and wrote and published a children's book, Stories to Live By. Msgr. Koenig died on 15 August 2004.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged in two series:

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Materials were given to the Archives and Special Collections Center by Msgr. John Koenig of the Archdiocese of Newark.

Existence and Location of Copies

Select items from this collection have been digitized. To view these items, click here.

Related Materials

John M. Osterreicher papers, 1920-2000, Mss 0053. The Monsignor Noé Field Archives & Special Collections Center, Walsh Library, Seton Hall University.

Processing Information

Collection was processed by the Archives and Special Collections Center in 2005, and re-processed by Dana Kappel and Tracy M. Jackson in 2012. Finding aid created by Dana Kappel, 2012, and Tracy M. Jackson, 2013.
Title
John Koenig papers, 1966-2001
Author
Dana Kappel, Tracy M. Jackson
Date
2013
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the The Monsignor Field Archives & Special Collection Center Repository

Contact:
Archives, Walsh Library
400 South Orange Ave
South Orange NJ 07079 US
973-761-9476