Skip to main content

Bishop's Relief Fund of the Archdiocese of Newark records

 Collection
Identifier: ADN 0009
The Bishop's Relief Fund of the Archdiocese of Newark records include materials related to the collection of monies for Catholic Relief Services (CRS) within the Archdiocese of Newark. The collection includes pamphlets, flyers, form letters, money pledge forms, lists, and some correspondence. The materials deal with monies collected for victims of war, a Thanksgiving clothing campaign, and other fundraising efforts. The collection includes materials from the first years of the CRS's existence during and after the Second World War, and extends through the mid-1960s. The collection is not yet processed, although the materials are in original folders, many of which are labeled.

Dates

  • 1944-1966

Conditions Governing Access

Temporarily closed to research.

Conditions Governing Use

All materials available in this collection (unless otherwise noted) are the property of the Monsignor William Noé Field Archives & Special Collections Center and Seton Hall University, which reserves the right to limit access to or reproduction of these materials. Reproduction of materials or content is subject to United States copyright restrictions and may be subject to federal or state privacy regulations. Permission to publish exact reproductions must be obtained from the Director of the Archives and Special Collections Center.

Extent

3.88 Linear Feet

Overview

The Bishop's Relief Fund refers to Catholic Relief Services, a humanitarian organization founded by the United States Council of Catholic Bishops. Within the Archdiocese of Newark, the director of the Bishop's Relief Fund oversaw an annual collection within the archdiocese, as well as organizing any special collections in response to disasters and calamitous events. The Bishop's Relief Fund of the Archdiocese of Newark records include materials related to the collection of monies for Catholic Relief Services (CRS) within the Archdiocese of Newark.

Biographical / Historical

The Bishop's Relief Fund refers to Catholic Relief Services, a humanitarian organization founded by the United States Council of Catholic Bishops. Within the Archdiocese of Newark, the director of the Bishop's Relief Fund oversaw an annual collection within the archdiocese, as well as organizing any special collections in response to disasters and calamitous events.

In 1943, the US Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) founded War Relief Services in response to the effects of the Second World War in Europe. The organization officially changed its name to Catholic Relief Services (CRS) in 1955 after expanding its mission to include worldwide humanitarian and assistance efforts. The mission of CRA is to give aid to those in need outside the United States by promoting peace, fighting poverty, assisting in educational efforts, and responding to emergency situations including natural disasters and civil conflict.

The Archdiocese of Newark contributes to the CRS through annual collections that support programming efforts and organizing special collections in emergency situations.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Materials were transferred to the Archives and Special Collections Center from the Archdiocese of Newark bishop's office in 1989. Accession number 1989.0020.ADN.

Processing Information

This collection is not yet processed. Finding aid and basic collection description created in 2013 by Patrick Tobias and Tracy M. Jackson as part of the Overhaul Project collection survey.
Title
Bishop's Relief Fund of the Archdiocese of Newark records, 1944-1966
Author
Tracy M. Jackson
Date
2013
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the The Monsignor Field Archives & Special Collection Center Repository

Contact:
Archives, Walsh Library
400 South Orange Ave
South Orange NJ 07079 US
973-761-9476