Skip to main content

Archdiocese of Newark Church reports

 Collection
Identifier: ADN 0010-001
The Diocese of Newark Church reports include the annual reports of parish priests to the Chancery Office from 1843-1925. Information contained in these reports includes: number of Catholics in the parish; number making Easter Duty; number of children attending parochial school; number of confraternities in the parish and number of members in each; number of baptisms, marriages, confirmations, communions, and burials performed; descriptions of any additions to church property; itermized lists of receipts and expenditures; a listing of debts; and other comments and suggestions from pastors.

The reports are arranged chronologically by year, then alphabetically by town, then alphabetically by parish.

Dates

  • 1843-1925

Conditions Governing Access

Temporarily closed to research.

Conditions Governing Use

All materials available in this collection (unless otherwise noted) are the property of the Monsignor William Noé Field Archives & Special Collections Center and Seton Hall University, which reserves the right to limit access to or reproduction of these materials. Reproduction of materials or content is subject to United States copyright restrictions and may be subject to federal or state privacy regulations. Permission to publish exact reproductions must be obtained from the Director of the Archives and Special Collections Center.

Extent

11.67 Linear Feet (, Approximately 4,000 items.)

Overview

The Diocese of Newark was created in 1853 and was elevated to an Archdiocese in 1937. The Chancery Office required parish priests to submit yearly reports reflecting the financial and spiritual condition of their churches. The Diocese of Newark Church reports include the annual reports of parish priests to the Chancery Office from 1843-1925, which themselves include information on population and sacramental statistics.

Biographical / Historical

The Diocese of Newark was created in 1853 and was elevated to an Archdiocese in 1937. The Chancery Office required parish priests to submit yearly reports reflecting the financial and spiritual condition of their churches. In the early years of the Diocese, many pastors composed highly personalized reports, frequently presenting them as narratives. By the end of the nineteenth century, the Chancery Office distributed standardized forms to all pastors.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Materials were transferred to the Archives and Special Collections Center from the Archdiocese of Newark. Terms of accession unknown.

Processing Information

Collection processed by the Archives and Special Collections Center, mid-1990s, and Lori Lauterbach, 2011. HTML finding aid and some collection description created by Tracy M. Jackson, 2012.
Title
Archdiocese of Newark Church reports, 1843-1925
Status
completed
Date
May 2011
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the The Monsignor Field Archives & Special Collection Center Repository

Contact:
Archives, Walsh Library
400 South Orange Ave
South Orange NJ 07079 US
973-761-9476