Catholics -- Newark (N.J.) -- History
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 14 Collections and/or Records:
Identifier: ADN 0054
Abstract The Archdiocese of Newark celebrated the 125th anniversary of its founding in 1978. Materials in the Archdiocese of Newark 125th Anniversary records include correspondence and memoranda related to the planning and attendance of celebratory events.
Identifier: ADN 0010-001
Abstract The Diocese of Newark was created in 1853 and was elevated to an Archdiocese in 1937. The Chancery Office required parish priests to submit yearly reports reflecting the financial and spiritual condition of their churches. The Diocese of Newark Church reports include the annual reports of parish priests to the Chancery Office from 1843-1925, which themselves include information on population and sacramental statistics.
Identifier: ADN 0063
Abstract The Office of Research and Planning for the Archdiocese of Newark initiates and maintains program-oriented planning and development to maximize the resources of the Church in Newark. The Office of Research and Planning of the Archdiocese of Newark records include materials related to the beginning of the ORP in 1975 and its activities through the 1970s and 1980s.
Identifier: ADN 0027
Abstract The Catholic Women's College Club was a New Jersey organization in operation from at least 1934-1985. This collection spans the years of 1934 through 1985 and documents the development and subsequent operations of the Catholic Women's College Club, a New Jersey organization. The collection includes records of meetings and activities as well as clippings and memorabilia.
Identifier: ADN 0085
Abstract Fr. Francis Derivaux was a priest in the Archdiocese of Newark. He attended Seton Hall College, graduating in 1911, and then went on to study at Immaculate Conception Seminary. Fr. Derivaux was ordained in 1915 and assigned to St. Leo’s parish in Irvington, where he worked until his death in 1923. The scrapbook is divided into two sections: the first contains memories of his time at Seton Hall College and Immaculate Conception Seminary, and the second is concerned with his work at St. Leo’s in...
Collection — Box 1
Identifier: ADN 0057
Abstract Quarterly priest publication by priests within the Archdiocese of Newark.
Dates: 1963 - 1969
Collection — Box 30
Identifier: ADN 0002-004
Abstract John J. O'Connor was born in Newark, NJ in 1855, attended Seton Hall College and the North American College in Rome. He was a priest of the Diocese of Newark, a professor at Seton Hall College, the Vicar General of the Diocese under Bishop Winand Wigger, and became Bishop of the Diocese of Newark upon the death of Bishop Wigger, in 1901. He served as bishop until his death in 1927. The John J. O'Connor papers include the personal and professional papers of Bishop O'Connor, primarily from his...
Dates: 1873-1928 (bulk 1900-1927); Majority of material found within 1900 - 1927
Identifier: Mss 0068
Abstract The Lardiere Milano family was a family of Italian Americans living in Newark at the turn of the 20th century. The Lardiere Milano family photographs primarily consists of snapshots and photographs of members of the Lardiere family, as well as photographs of the Milano family, landscapes and scenery, and some objects belonging to Angelina Lardiere.
Dates: 1930-1970, 2013
Identifier: ADN 0003-005
Abstract Martin Stanton (1897-1977) was a priest of the Archdiocese of Newark, a papal chamberlain, and an auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Newark. The Martin W. Stanton papers include correspondence memorabilia regarding Martin Stanton's elevation to Bishop and the death of his sister.
Dates: 1957-1977, bulk 1957-1961; Majority of material found within 1957 - 1961
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: ADN 0056
Abstract The Mother Cabrini Catholic War Veterans, Post 156, was founded in 1946 by combat veterans of the second Wolrd War. The group was a chapter of the national Catholic War Veterans group and usually met at Our Lady of Mount Carmel parish in Newark. The Mother Cabrini Catholic War Veterens Post 156 records include materials related to the club's operation, such as correspondence, financial documents, information on membership, and the donation of a statue of Saint Francis Xavier Cabrini to the City...